Teacher Check: Served dinner
Cookery Principle: Turkey dinner
|Chicken (5 lbs./ 2.2 kg)||1|
|Olive oil or butter||15 ml|
|Dried thyme||4 ml|
|Crumbled dried rosemary||1 ml|
|Chicken stock||175 ml|
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Remove giblets and neck, if present, from chicken. Rinse chcken inside and out; pat dry.
- Place onion and garlic in chicken cavity.
- Tuck wings under back of chicken; tie legs together with kitchen string. Brush all over with oil; sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Place, breast side up, on a rack in roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, in oven for 1 hours.
- Baste chicken with pan juices. Roast, basting occasionally, for about 1 hour longer or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced and meat thermometer inserted in thigh registers 185F (85C).
- Transfer chicken to platter and tent with foil; let stand 10 minutes before carving.
- Skim fat from juices in pan. Sprinkle flour over juices; cook over medium-high heart, whisking, for 1 minute. Drizzle in chicken stock, cook, whisking, for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Pour into warmed gravy boat.
- Cut string holding legs together; discard onion and garlic. Using poultry or kitchen shears, cut chicken into 2 breast and 2 leg portions. Cut each breast in half diagonally. Cut through each leg at joint to separate into drumsticks and thigh. Serve with gravy.