This recipe is my boyfriend’s mom’s recipe and I don’t think you’ll find a better recipe out there. If this is your first time making dumplings then I recommend starting a bit earlier on this recipe, because it will take more time. If you’re not a big fan of pork or celery, I think shrimp and cabbage are good replacements. Hope you give this recipe a try.
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of warm water
1 lb of ground pork
6 celery sticks
minced green onion
1 tsp minced ginger
3 tsp of salt
4 tsp oyster sauce
2 tsp of Chinese 5 spice
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1/2 tbsp of olive oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, add flour and slowly add in the water. Knead the dough until you can form a ball and let it rest for 30 mins.
2. In a medium sized pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add some salt and olive oil to the water.
3. Cut the celery in half and place it into the boiling water to blanch. This shouldn’t take more than a minute. Strain and mince the celery.
4. Strain out the excess water in the celery using a cheesecloth. This step will prevent your dumplings from being watery inside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add pork, salt, Oyster sauce, Chinese 5 spice, celery, ginger, green onion, and egg. Mix it all in one direction, add the sesame, olive oil, and continue to mix in one direction.
6. Take out your rested dough and shape into a rolling pin. Using a pastry cutter, cut the dough into 1 in pieces. Using a rollin pin, flatten the pieces into a circle.
7. Using your wrappers, take a spoon full of filling and start making your dumplings.
8. Cook your dumplings, in a medium pot with boiling water. Once the dumplings start to float they are done.